Teaching preschool at home can be an incredibly rewarding experience. Days spent witnessing children make new discoveries, testing new theories, and learning at their own pace are hard to beat. But sometimes our vision of home preschool and our reality don’t exactly align. Without the right support it can seem overwhelming, and you can end your days questioning whether you’re doing the right thing.
But don’t get frustrated.
Don’t give up.
The right resources and support can make all the difference.
Home Preschool 101 Membership
The Home Preschool 101 Community is designed specifically for home preschool families who are looking for help with organization, lesson plans, scheduling, instructional information and more.
Benefits of Home Preschool 101 Membership
In developing the Home Preschool 101 Membership our primary goals are to help you:
- Save time planning for home preschool
- Get full printable lesson plans with hands-on learning activity ideas
- Develop confidence by offering trainings and information about developmentally appropriate practices for preschoolers
- Help you fit home preschool into your busy schedule by sharing planning and organizational resources
- Feel less alone in the home preschool journey by getting support and encouragement from others who “get it”
What Does Membership Include?
The membership site is brand new so we are busily adding high quality content to it. Right now members have full access to:
- The Guide to Getting Started with Home Preschool-a comprehensive toolbox for planning for home preschool
- The Guide itself includes over 100 pages of information about what to teach preschoolers, a process for developing your own weekly schedule, 125+ easy activity ideas that don’t require a lot of preparation, printable planning sheets, organizational tips, ideas for setting up your learning environment, assessment checklists, and more.
- Printable lesson plan template options that you can use no matter what type of home preschool style you prefer-These are great for those who want to DIY their own home preschool lessons plans with a framework that works.
- Fully developed lesson plans including hundreds of hands-on activity ideas for playful learning (with new lesson plan packets being added regularly)-These lesson plans are available in multiple formats depending on your schedule and preferences. See more details about the lesson plan packets below.
- Discussion forums-One of the main features of the Home Preschool 101 membership is an ongoing member forum area where you can post questions, share ideas, and read over ways other people have handled a challenge similar to yours. It’s also a place where we’ll be able to provide you with thorough responses to your home preschool questions.
- We also realize each person’s situation is unique. All new members are invited to chat with us in a one-on-one 15-minute coaching call to ask questions specifically related to their biggest challenges and personal goals.
What Can You Expect?
That’s just the beginning of what we plan to offer to Home Preschool 101 members. In the coming months we’ll be adding new features based on member feedback and requests.
We’ll definitely be adding new lesson plans each month so you’ll always have new lesson plan content and activity ideas to choose from.
We’ll also be adding special trainings on various home preschool topics like best teaching practices, organization, time-saving home preschool shortcuts, and more. We might even be persuaded to make some training videos if there are preschool lessons you’d like to see in action. There’s a long list of ideas under consideration, but we assure you whatever we choose it will be practical and relevant to your needs.
Bonus materials and hands-on printables that align with our theme packets and basic home preschool skills are also in development.
And as members you can help us choose projects you are most interested in. Maybe we’ll start a book club to learn about early childhood education. Or maybe we’ll develop a member exchange forum so you can share your own lesson plans.
Our focus is working together so that we create a community that is of continuous value to you!
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is Home Preschool 101 Membership for?
If you’re teaching home preschool or considering it, you’ll find resources that will help you in your home preschool journey. In particular, our members are people who are looking for hands-on activities and time-saving lesson plans to use in a home-based preschool setting with individual or small groups of children between the ages of 3 and 5.
The lesson plan ideas can also be used for families who are looking for playful learning activities to do at home as a supplement for kids who go to preschool outside of the home part time. There are resources and options available for both families who want printable lesson plans that are already made and those who want to learn to efficiently create their own lesson plans.
But I’m a preschool classroom teacher, can I join too?
While a lot of the content would be helpful to you, there is a lot of information specific to teaching in a home preschool setting. But don’t worry! We’ve got help coming your way soon. Over on our sister site PreschoolTeacher101.com we’ll be launching a new membership area that also includes printable lesson plans as well as content specific to the needs of classroom teachers. You can pop over there to sign up and get notified when the new membership site is ready.
Is this a preschool curriculum?
Sort of. It isn’t one massive kit with a set sequence or schedule, but you can certainly piece together a comprehensive preschool curriculum by selecting and implementing the lesson plans packets.
These lesson plans are created with a multi-disciplinary approach that will allow you to teach the most essential preschool skills in a playful manner. As early childhood educators with degrees in education and both classroom and home preschool experience we’ve chosen activities that are age-appropriate and effective for preschoolers. As we add new lesson plans a full curriculum will emerge for you to use with your child or children.
What topics are covered in the lesson plans?
Right now we have opted to do two types of lesson plans. One type is theme based and the other is book based.
Theme based lessons include an in depth exploration of a common preschool theme (i.e., seeds, apples). The themes can be selected based on your child’s current interests, or they can be selected based on a letter focus (i.e., A is for Apples).
Book based lessons include a wide variety of learning activities based on a popular children’s picture book.
We’ll be working to build a full library of these two lesson plan types, but we may also expand to include additional variations based on member feedback.
What does each lesson plan packet include?
Each completed lesson plan packet includes hands-on learning activities that teach kids skills in the areas of reading, math, science, sensory play, fine motor, gross motor and more. Within the packet you’ll find:
- a materials list
- a skills checklist so you know what your child is learning through each activity
- multiple completed lesson plan options (including a schedule free checklist version, a half day option, and a full day option)
- a recommended book list
- detailed activity descriptions
- independent activity ideas that can be used for centers or work boxes during free play time
Whoa! That’s a lot of stuff, and I’m busy. Will it be too much for me to implement?
We did include a lot in each lesson plan packet. We want there to be enough material no matter what type of home preschool plan you are following. Some members teach home preschool to a small group of children all day. Others choose a half-day schedule. And many others choose another variation that meets their needs. Our lesson plan packets are designed to meet all of those approaches.
Even if you choose to do one or two activities a day, you’ll still gain value in having all the activity ideas and resources at your fingertips. If this is your approach, we’d recommend following the checklist lesson plan format so you can pick and choose the activities you want to do.
In our special trainings we also share tips and planning resources to help you map out your weekly plan so that you can do more home preschool activities together if that is your goal.
How long will each lesson plan take?
That is completely up to you. The half day and full day options are designed to be taught in one week, but you can adapt them to meet your needs.
The checklist option can be used over any duration you’d like as you are simply working through the activities you would like at your own pace.
What if I have younger siblings at home too?
Right now the main lesson plans are designed with the needs of preschoolers age 3 to 5 in mind. However, we know that many of you also have toddlers at home, and they would love to get involved in the action too.
At some point we may include a toddler version of lesson plans, but for right now we are making a special notation within the lesson plan packets that shows which activities in the plan are toddler friendly. That way you can include your toddler in on some of the learning activities along the way.
How does a membership site work?
In a membership site you will login to a main site and have access to all of the content we have produced for Home Preschool 101. We’ve designed special members only pages and discussion areas where you’ll easily find the information that is available.
And here’s the really exciting part…whenever we produce a new product that will be sold outside of the membership site, you’ll automatically get access to it as long as you are a Home Preschool 100 member. Your monthly fee will cover the cost of all old and new resources, so there’s no need to worry about buying new products as they are released.
We hope you’ll visit the site regularly, but we know you’re busy. If you’re worried about remembering to visit the site, we’ve got that covered. We’ll be sending you a regular email to let you know about new additions to the member area and any noteworthy events and discussions taking place.
Can I share my lesson plans and other materials with others?
Will the price change?
Absolutely. The current rate is a steal, and we’ve been advised multiple times to start at a higher price point. As we grow and the site includes more content the price will definitely increase for new members. However, you will keep your same monthly membership rate as long as you are a Home Preschool 101 member, so join now to lock in the existing rate.